Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Thursday July 30th 2009 inspection

I inspected the hive just before leaving for a 4-day weekend. The hive has low activity, and I don't see any drones anymore. The top body is very heavy, I could barely lift it. The second body is somewhat heavy, while the third is lighter. All three bodies are almost filled with combs, the third has still some room in the first and last frames. All the bodies are heavily cross-combed. I expected to see some comb building in the fourth body, but they are not there yet.
I am worried about the very low activity in the front of the hive. A few dozen bees are flying, a few others are staying in the landing board. I used to see hundred of bees at the entrance.
I did not check the bottom of the frames before closing the hives, so I can't tell if they swarmed, but the weight of the hive bodies tell me they didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment